Since the current wave of masking fiction has been toward the sweet/romantic, this is the result of me trying to do something simple and non offensive in that vein.
Turns out I didn't succeed particularly well, but it was intended for http://disguisedwriting.wordpress.com/
Well, *I* liked it, at any rate.
ReplyDeleteTo be honest I suspect its more complicated than just dark stories and not-dark stories... I can, and probably will feature stuff like forced masking and perhaps even some impersonation, but for me a lot of it lies in intentions, and whether or not its permanent.
That said I do like my borderline saccharine romance stories and I don't pretend otherwise, but people like what they like.
Anyway, good luck with your blog! Always good to have another masking outpost on the web.
-Dieter
Hey Dieter,
ReplyDeleteI hope that didnt seem like a slight in any way because it very much wasnt intended as such. I've actually really enjoyed your stories and captions a lot. I was much more commenting on my inability to capture the softer side in the things I write.
I always start with the best of intentions and find myself warping them into twisted and horrible fantasy type worlds filled with utterly irredeemable people doing completely reprehensible things. I'm actually quite an optimistic person so I can't really explain why these are themes I keep coming back to. I use "dark" as a descriptor mostly because I feel I'm mostly writing horror stories with a masking bent most of the time.
I do agree though that the intention plays a very large part in these sorts of things and exploring the motivations is often far more interesting than the physical act of masking or disguise.
Thanks for inspiring me to try my hand at a different caption than I would normally do. I may not have quite landed what I was hoping for, but I enjoy things most when I'm pushing outside my comfort zone so it was definitely worth the effort. :)
-Eeb
Oh I didn't take it that way. I myself am tempted to go dark sometimes based on my love of "forced" masking. Its a push and a pull sometimes.
ReplyDeleteI myself am actually a fairly cynical person in real life, and I do enjoy some horror fiction (particularly of the lovecraft, cosmic horror variety) but for whatever reason in my writing and in my personal affairs I keep it "nice". Its just my preference and I can't really explain it.
Anyway I'm glad you enjoyed making the caption, as I enjoyed reading it. I do hope you find the time to join our story jam. Its going some very exciting places.
-Dieter
PS. If you'd like, I could post a link to your blog on my site if you want. Up to you.